Monday, December 3, 2007

...on going Gluten Free

Ah. French Bread. Bagels. Whole Wheat toast when you are sick. A Reuben sandwich. Beer.


Or, being able to order out at restaurants without an intimate knowledge of the kitchen.....


Apparently I must say goodbye to (most) of these things. At least without a lot of prep and alterations. I have recently come to the realization that I am at least gluten intolerant. (Lets face it, I am willing to be in the dark on whether I am intolerant or actually have Celiacs Disease. Damage is Damage, and gluten causes it in me)

So the past month or so I (and my family) have been on this little foray into the world of Gluten free cooking, gluten free living, and gluten free outings. It's been interesting, to say the least. I have, in about a month...

~Discovered that two local liquor stores carry a gluten free beer that is made out of sorghum and tastes delish.
~Discovered that approximately 50% of the gluten free breads out there available to purchase taste like crap. But, thank the bright stars above us, Whole Foods has an entire line from their Gluten Free Bakery (they have a Celiac baker, guess they didn't want to lose him...) that is amazing! Cheddar biscuits, scones, mmm. I can't wait to try the pie crust.
~Fumed and flustered about over the fact that while my dear son flourishes on a GF diet (behavior problems, gastrointestinal issues, and skin "stuff" led us down the path to gluten free in the first place) he backtracks quickly when he has consumed gluten (among various other lovely food choices) at my ex husbands house...
~Hosted a dinner, and a girls night "in" at my house with entirely GF menus, to the delight of all. Apparently Brie and Fig Jam on crackers doesn't need gluten injections, no matter what hubby says.
~Made acquaintances with some new and old friends, like Quinoa, Teff, Millet, Tapioca, and Rice .
~Stumbled deliriously upon a GF alternative foods store literally less than a mile from my house, that has been there for ages. I think the owner there is a little worried for me, as I hugged her with teary eyes the first itme I went in...
~ Felt better than I have in years and years.

My list of heroes now include Danna Korn, founder of R.O.C.K. (Raising Our Celiac Kids) and the author of several books, including Gluten Free Living for Dummies. Along with The Gluten Free Girl.

It isn't nearly as hard as it sounds, and sometimes it is every bit as hard as it sounds. But I feel great, and more than that I know that even a "little cheat" can cause damage, leading to other immune problems, disorders, even cancers later in life.

So, my house is now gluten free. (except for hubby's shelf. And the gluten injector I promised him for Christmas. He feels his apples may be tastier with a little glutenization)


Shell

No comments: