Saturday, July 28, 2007

Some things I have learned....

I posted this for some friends on MDC, and thought I was very clever. I might not actually BE clever. But humor me all right?

Bella's Rules of Lace Knitting

Rule #1 - If you need to, it's perfectly acceptable by all knitting goddesses for their ardent followers to lock themselves in a happy little room away from all children, spouses, pets, and well meaning neighbors. Mother's and Mother in Laws as well. It's even more important if you like these people. you will end up talking and not paying attention. Ask me how I know.

Rule # 2 - Only you know what you need. Use it all if need be. Lifelines. Moving a post it/magnet/what have you along every 4 or 6 or 8 stitches. Highlighters. Turning the pattern upside down. You won't ever have to count back more than a couple stitches to find where you got all flustercated. Although this may possibly be avoided if one follows rule number 1.

Rule #3 - If you make a wee mistake remember the galloping horses (or Lady Godiva...) theory. If either the aforementioned was wearing your creation, would anyone notice your mistake? I have several little mistakes in my stole. Will I notice them? Sure. Will anyone else? Not likely. I went and fixed the mistakes that would bother me and fudged on the rest by a sneaky little yo or k2tog. It's all about you baby. Keeping the knitting mojo is, in my book, way more important than ripping back hours (days, weeks, etc) of work to fix something minor.

Rule #4 - Stitch count is really not the most important thing. Learn to read your lace. You can have the perfect amount of stitches on the needles and have them all be wrong due to a missed k2tog or something early on. Only time can give you this so keep knitting! (Maybe remember rule #1)

Rule#5- Enjoy it! Relax! Lace can offer such a bounty of knitty time on a budget. Where else can you get a couple months of hobby work for 3.99?

Rule #6 Know, Learn, and Love Rule # 1

No comments: